We’re back from another great trip to Andorra! Here’s some of our 2017 gang!
Booking now closed for Jan 2021 – but we may be back at Easter…
Welcome to the Scout Ski Trip website!
We, a group of Scout Leaders from the Salisbury, Wiltshire have been running ski trips to Andorra since 2005. Since then we have returned almost every year, continuing the ethos of that first adventure by inviting more and more Scouters, Explorers, friends and family to join us to experience the wonderful atmosphere, world class skiing, interesting history, economical prices, quiet slopes, amazing food, wonderfully friendly atmosphere and great weather Andorra has to offer!
“Golly, that was an awesome trip! Can’t wait to get back out there next year!”
So, why Andorra?
Well, great skiing, great food, great friends & great FUN! One of our Network member’s dad has been a ski instructor in Andorra for many years so our first trip was a small one on his invitation. Through him we also manage to get a lot of skiing necessities & even drinks at discounted rates! Once there we found the principality to hold many more benefits than previously anticipated, namely:
- Andorra is cheap, more so than in France or Italy due mainly to it’s size & the very little tax.
- Andorra has great weather, being further south than the Alps, it’s much warmer & sunnier!
- Andorra is small & welcoming, only 30 miles across which creates a lovely friendly atmosphere.
- Andorra has great skiing! The two main resorts we visit offer great slopes for all abilities.
- Andorra has brilliant food & drink, in the many cheap bars, restaurants & hotels in the village.
- Andorra has a great night-life! There’s over half a dozen bars & clubs within a 500 yards!
- The best overall experience! Many resorts are good for one or two aspects, but we have found Andorra to be the best package for ALL things together! Slopes, apres, cost, travel time, & atmos!
- Have a look around the village of Soldeu in which we stay here!
Where the heck IS Andorra?
Andorra is a very small principality in the beautiful Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain. The closest airports are Gerona, Barcelona, Carcasonne & Perpignon so we organise a nice private transfer bus to get us there. We usually stay in the Soldeu & El Tarter area, right in the centre of the main skiing plateau of Grandvalira. From there gondolas & ski lifts take you up into the mountains high enough to ski many miles to different villages & ski areas. We’ve been TWLEVE times & haven’t been everywhere yet!
What can you do in Andorra – apart from ski?
Andorra is a most beautiful region and has a long and interesting history. Little villages, museums, restaurants, thermal springs, cheap beer, monasteries, and the exciting central town of Andorra La Vella are all at your disposal to explore, as well as the fantastic night life and amazingly friendly atmosphere.
You can also go hillwalking & mountaineering, dog sledding, skidoo riding, snow shoeing, parascending, visit some very relaxing swimming pools and spas, plus a whole lot more!
How much does it cost?
We try very hard indeed to keep all costs at a minimum so as to make the trip open and affordable to as many people as possible. At the moment we aim to offer a week of skiing, accommodation, lift passes, ski hire, and airport transfers for around £500 per person, although this does depend on numbers.
Where do we stay?
Accommodation this year will be in the delightful Chalet Font. Check out our photos of it here. The chalet is above a supermarket so self catering is easy, but it is also right in the centre of the village, less than 200 meters from the main Soldeu gondola! Soldeu has a bristling nightlife, with many wonderful and inexpensive places to eat, drink and party for all ages!
Check out the report form one of our first trips that appeared in Scouting magazine here: http://www.wiltshirescouts.org.uk/sarumnetwork/events/Andorra/andorra2006report.htm